Born in 1951 in Miami Beach, Florida, William Wolk began drawing free-hand charcoal portraits at age eight. By age nine, he was working diligently at an easel in oils. At age seventeen, he spent one year in drawing study at the Ringling School of Art in Sarasota, Florida (currently the Ringling College of Art and Design), but was soon told by his professor that his talent would be better served by study in Italy. At eighteen, Wolk moved to Florence, Italy to study at the Academy of Fine Arts and to engage in intensive self-study in the city’s magnificent museums and cathedrals. He returned to the United States to begin his career with a one man show in Coral Gables, Florida at age nineteen.
Wolk’s work can be found in the collections of:
- President G.W. Bush; Presidential Archive
- USGA Museum; Permanent Collection
- Mikhail Baryshnikov; Personal Archive
- Tom Clancy; Author
- Guilford College Museum of Art; Permanent Collection
- William Como; Editor in Chief – Dance Magazine
- Chairpersons, Presidents and CEO’s of numerous Fortune 500 Corporations, Private collectors throughout the United States and several European and South American countries.
- 2013 William Wolk Fine Art opens at The Ritz-Carlton / Sarasota, Florida
- 2011 One-Man-Exhibition / Emperors and Scavengers / Birds of the Florida Gulf / Ringling College of Art and Design / Willis A. Smith Galleries / Sarasota, FL
- 2008 – Portrait of Sam Snead inducted into the permanent collection of
the USGA Museum in Far Hills, NJ.
- 2008 – The William Wolk Gallery of Fine Art celebrates twenty-
five years at The Greenbrier – White Sulphur Springs, WV.
- 2008 – One Man Show – West Virginia Division of Culture and
History – Dance Festival Exhibit – Charleston, WV.
- 2007 Honored in a ceremony at The Oval Office where his
Post 9/11 Portrait of George W. Bush was inducted into
the Presidential Collection.
- 2006 Published – William Wolk – Fine Art at The Greenbrier
by Ananda Hill Press.
- 2000 Guilford College Museum acquires a William Wolk
self-portrait for their permanent collection – Greensboro, NC.
- 1994 Published – William Wolk – Paintings by Jalmar Press.
- 1989 Group Show – “The Food Show” – Grand Central Art
Galleries – New York, NY.
- 1986 One Man Show – Heinz Hall for the Performing Arts –
- 1986 One Man Show – Atlanta International Airport –
sponsored by Air Atlanta – Atlanta, GA.
- 1985 One Man Show – The Tatem Gallery – Ft. Lauderdale, FL.
- 1984 Opening of The William Wolk Gallery of Fine Art at
The Greenbrier – White Sulphur Springs, WV.
- 1983 One Man Show – The Harkness House Gallery – New York, NY.
- 1982 Published – Three paintings as posters by Bruce McGaw
Graphics – New York, NY.
- 1982 Entitled: Artist in Residence – The Harkness House –
New York, NY.
- 1982 One Man Show – Lincoln Center Gallery – Metropolitan
Opera House – New York, NY.
- 1982 One Man Show – David Gary Gallery – Short Hills, NJ.
- 1981 One Man Show – Heinz Hall for the Performing Arts –
- 1975 One Man Show – RJK Gallery – Atlanta, GA.
- 1972 One Man Show – Collector’s Cove Gallery – Atlanta, GA.
- 1970 One Man Show – The Vasili Gallery – Coral Gables, FL.